Today (Friday, 22 June) is National Kissing Day! To help mark the occasion, Dr Harold Katz of The Breath Company shares 10 little-known facts about kissing, along with his top hygiene tips.
DID YOU KNOW?
1. The mouth is full of bacteria and when two people kiss, they exchange between 10 million and 1 billion bacteria, so remember to brush, rinse and floss!
2. Kissing is actually good for your teeth. The anticipation of a kiss increases the flow of saliva to your mouth and gives your teeth a plaque-dispersing bath.
3. Bad breath can’t be passed on to another person via kissing.
4. A French kiss involves all 34 muscles in the face, whereas a quick pucker involves only two.
5. Passionate French kissing can burn up to five calories in a few seconds or about 150 calories (calculation compiled by Dr Harold Katz) in a minute. Kiss for 10 minutes… and skip the gym!
6. Kissing makes you feel happy, positive and less stressed because it releases endorphins and oxytocin. According to relationship therapist Dr. Krista A. Bloom, our lips are super- sensitive and have approximately 10,000 nerve endings – and that’s why we love kissing so much.
7. So far, the movie with the most kisses, namely 127, is Don Juan (1926). Andy Warhol’s Kiss (1963) contains the longest kiss ever filmed. Splendor in the Grass (1963) with Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty made history with Hollywood’s first on-screen French kiss.
8. People in the 18 to 24 age group are making out an average of 11 times each week.
9. 5% of people aged 45 and over are managing more than 31 passionate kisses each week.
10. Kissing is healthy and can even make you live longer. Even a quick goodbye kiss before leaving home can have huge benefits.
Boots and Superdrug are helping the nation prepare to kiss with confidence this National Kissing Day with savings off breath freshening treatments from The Breath Company, whose products include Fresh Breath Toothpaste, Fresh Breath Chewing Gum, and Fresh Breath Oral Rinse – all of which are made from pure, natural ingredients.